Tuesday 5 April 2011

Production and Distribution

This is the main element that effects my film greatly, choosing the right company makes all the difference to the outcome of the film. I originally started researching films that where like my film, looking at the Kill Bill volumes, and films like The Italian Job. Researching a film thats not released yet, The adjustment Bureau led me across Universal Pictures. I instantly knew the name as they are a major player in the film industry, one of the biggest in the world. I then researched the types of genre they usually produce, and also if they distributed any films, and if so which ones. Once I found out that they had, I then compared them to other Studios, such as Paramount, and Warner Bros, who both lacked in the genre that I was basing my film upon.

Universal Studios is a house hold name, which a massive corporate empire, stretching from theme parks to merchandise and a vast amount of other product. This was instant good news. It meant that it would allow me to build the foundations of my films products and merchandise. Things that make up a large percentage of the final net profit my film would make in the long run. 

I wanted to keep my film with one or two studios as I didn't want that lack of power that results in having more than a few, and the constant struggle between creative and corporate decisions. This would affect the visual final result to my film, as it would mean there would be elements that i didnt want in; that were to commercial and might affect the believability of the film. 

I eventually decided to keep both the Production and Distribution with Universal, relying on them to use their reputation to sell my film, and also allowing a much more personal experience with the outcome of the film. Allowing me to be in control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment